Bella Vida Santa Barbara takes our commitment to sustainable and eco-friendly business practices very seriously. Clean Beauty means more than clean ingredients. It means protecting our customers health, animals and the planet! We are always striving to improve on all fronts.
How we are helping to protect the environment and animals:
- We are proud to be one of the first Luxury Skincare companies to offer a "Zero-Waste Refill Program" since 2019. Our customers can receive product refills at a greatly reduced price to cut down on waste.
- All of our skincare is made in the USA from non-toxic, biodegradable ingredients. All our suppliers have attested to being cruelty-free, sustainable and several are also Leaping Bunny certified cruelty-free.
- We are proud to be certified cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny Program since day one of our launch. All of our skincare suppliers have attested to being cruelty-free as well. We also offer only 100% vegan formulas.
- We have partnered with Think Dirty app to verify our products are clean.
- Customers can now choose to plant a tree with EcoCart for only an extra $0.35 cents by adding it in at checkout.
- We have planted over 132 TREES in Africa with Eden Projects and EcoDrive so far in 2021 and offset over 30,000 pounds of Carbon from the atmosphere so far.
- We donate at least 1% of profits to non-profits that help protect our oceans and sea life with Oceana, and to Social Good non-profits, like Feeding America.
- We have donated to social good and environmental projects with over $450.00 to Feeding America and $100.00 to Oceana, and over $3000.00 donated to those in need via Go Fund Me during COVID in 2020.
- We use recycled paper products and recyclable packaging in most of our products and shipping materials and working to be 100% recycled paper or tree free by 2022. We are working to have either Recycled Cotton or Hemp paperboard used in our cartons also.
- We use biodegradable cello tape to seal our packages.
- Our branded stickers are zero waste, 100% post consumer recycled paper and the liners are fully recycled and recyclable too.
- Most of our tissue paper is 100% post consumer recycled content.
- We are striving to be as close to a zero-waste brand as possible, and remain so as we grow.
- Our glass jars and bottles have biodegradable wooden tops, sourced sustainably to help reduce plastics in our containers. We are always looking for 100% plastic-free options as well.
- We use recycled and compostable paper fill to pack our items.
- We reuse shipping materials that other companies send us as often as we can for void fill in our packages instead of tossing them.
- If you ever find plastic bubble wrap or non-sustainable items in our shipping, it is because we have reused what other companies have sent to us. We do not buy bubble wrap new. Reusing plastic bubble wrap keeps it out of the waste stream. We encourage our customers to keep reusing our shipping materials instead of tossing or recycling.
- Our shipping boxes are made from recycled paper and are sourced from Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) or Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) certified suppliers in the USA.
- All of our skincare and printed products come from companies based in the USA to assure the highest quality and also reduce carbon emissions on shipping. We strive to use companies closer to our warehouses to reduce shipping carbon emissions also.
- We have added a North Carolina warehouse to our company for fulfilling MIdwest to East Coast orders with reduced shipping times and carbon emissions.
- We sell our products to a retailer in Macau who has attested to be cruelty-free and will never sell our products to any country that requires animal testing.
We are committed to upholding the highest standards of sustainability and being as close to zero-waste as possible. We may not be perfect yet, but we are committed to getting as close as possible as a small business. As we grow, we plan to disrupt the beauty industry and influence other skincare and beauty companies in reexamining their business practices, especially advocating for ending cruel and needless animal testing.
We would love to hear from you if you have kind suggestions on how we can improve. If there are cosmetic packaging suppliers that provide more elegant, eco-friendly options, we would love to know! You can message us on Instagram @bellavidasb or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your support of my woman-owned and operated business,
Erin Schmidt, Founder & CEO
Member of the Female Founder Collective