Bella Vida Santa Barbara takes our commitment to sustainable and eco-friendly business practices very seriously. Sustainable and Clean Beauty means more than clean ingredients. It means protecting our customers, animals and the planet. We are always striving to improve on all fronts.
How we are helping to protect the environment and animals:
- We are proud to be one of the first Luxury Skincare companies to offer a "Zero-Waste Refill Program" since 2019. Our customers can receive product refills in reusable silicone travel bottles or jars at a greatly reduced price to cut down on waste.
- All of our skincare is made in the USA from biodegradable ingredients.
- We are proud to be certified cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny Program since day one of our launch in 2019 and are now Certified by Cruelty-Free Kitty. All of our skincare suppliers have attested to being cruelty-free as well. We also offer mostly vegan formulas.
- We have partnered with Think Dirty app to verify our products do not contain chemicals which might be potentially harmful.
- We partner with suppliers who are sustainable. One of our suppliers even runs solely on Solar Power and another on Wind Power in their large facilities.
- When available, our glass jars and bottles have biodegradable wooden tops, sourced sustainably to help reduce plastics in our containers.
- We source our wood tops from a manufacturer who sources from sustainably managed forests, certified by FSC® and PEFC™. Thanks to its efforts with carbon footprint reduction, energy management, and circularity, our 10,000 sqm facility in Spain is a sustainability benchmark.We are always looking for 100% plastic-free options as well.
- We now ship Carbon Neutral on every order with Shopify Shipping.
- Customers can now choose to plant a tree with EcoCart for only an extra $0.35 cents by adding it in at checkout.
- We have planted over 132 TREES in Africa with Eden Projects and EcoDrive so far in 2021 and offset over 30,000 pounds of Carbon from the atmosphere so far.
- We donate at least 1% of profits to non-profits that help protect our oceans and sea life with Oceana, and to Social Good non-profits, like Feeding America.
- We have donated to social good and environmental projects with over $450.00 to Feeding America and $100.00 to Oceana, and over $3000.00 donated to those in need via Go Fund Me during COVID in 2020. And in 2021, we donated over $1400.00 in skincare products to Clean Beauty Kit to donate to homeless women in the Bay Area of Northern California.
- We use recycled paper products and recyclable packaging in most of our products and shipping materials and working to be 100% recycled paper or tree-free by 2025.
- We use biodegradable cello tape to seal our packages when available.
- Our branded stickers are zero waste, 100% post consumer recycled paper and the liners are fully recycled and recyclable too.
- Most of our tissue paper is made of 100% post consumer recycled content.
- We are striving to be as close to a zero-waste brand as possible, and remain so as we grow.
- When available, our glass jars and bottles have biodegradable wooden tops, sourced sustainably to help reduce plastics in our containers. We source our wood tops from a manufacturer who sources from sustainably managed forests, certified by FSC® and PEFC™. Thanks to its efforts with carbon footprint reduction, energy management, and circularity, our 10,000 sqm facility in Spain is a sustainability benchmark.We are always looking for 100% plastic-free options as well.
- We use recycled and compostable paper shred to pack our items.
- Our product cards are printed on recycled paper and a tree is planted with every order by our supplier as well.
- We reuse shipping materials that other companies send us as often as we can for void fill in our packages instead of tossing them.
- If you ever find plastic bubble wrap or non-sustainable items in our shipping, it is because we have reused what other companies have sent to us. We do not buy bubble wrap or packing peanuts new. Reusing plastic bubble wrap and packing peanuts keeps it out of the waste stream. We encourage our customers to keep reusing our shipping materials instead of tossing or recycling.
- Our shipping boxes are made from recycled paper and are sourced from Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) or Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) certified suppliers in the USA.
- All of our skincare and printed products come from companies based in the USA to assure the highest quality and also reduce carbon emissions on shipping. We strive to use companies closer to our warehouses to reduce carbon emissions from shipping also.
- We sell our products to retailers in Macau and Hong Kong who have attested to be cruelty-free and will never sell our products to any country that requires animal testing.
We are committed to upholding the highest standards of sustainability and being as close to zero-waste as possible. We may not be perfect yet, but we are committed to getting as close as possible as a small business. As we grow, we plan to disrupt the beauty industry and influence other skincare and beauty companies in reexamining their business practices, especially advocating for ending cruel and needless animal testing.
We would love to hear from you if you have kind suggestions on how we can improve. If there are cosmetic packaging suppliers that provide more elegant, eco-friendly options, we would love to know! You can message us on Instagram @bellavidasb or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your support of my woman-owned and women-led business,
Erin Schmidt, Founder & CEO
Member of the Female Founder Collective